Friday, June 23, 2006

Waiting on the Lord

waitingI waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.

He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.

He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the LORD.

Blessed is the man
who makes the LORD his trust,
who does not look to the proud,
to those who turn aside to false gods.

Many, O LORD my God,
are the wonders you have done.
The things you planned for us
no one can recount to you;
were I to speak and tell of them,
they would be too many to declare.

Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
but my ears you have pierced
burnt offerings and sin offerings
you did not require.

Then I said, "Here I am, I have come—
it is written about me in the scroll.

I desire to do your will, O my God;
your law is within my heart." (Psalm 40:1-8 NIV)


The passage is saying that when we are praying for something, we should wait on the Lord. Only by waiting on the Lord can we truly find the true needs and wants of our hearts. It is also an opportunity to understand God's ways.

Waiting on the Lord results in us a change of character. A new song to sing in our hearts, a steadier disposition, and the ability to rise above despair. If we wait on the Lord, we begin to truly understand the needs of our hearts and begin to see how God is working in our lives. We begin to put a premium on obedience and learn to whole heartedly follow Him.

One of the most difficult things in my life is to wait. I don't know why since I was a child, I was already a handicap and should've been used to waiting since there are lots of things I can't do on my own without the help of another person. But its not usually the case, and at times, I still find myself frowning when it comes to waiting. I admit that this character also manifests itself when I should wait on the Lord. I have to understand that His timing is better and His ways are infinitely wiser.

Technorati tags: /